New Ideas for the New Year – Plus Bonus Recipe
It’s that time of year again when everyone makes resolutions to try new diets and eat less to lose weight. Instead of thinking about eating less, try focusing on positive steps you can take to live a healthier lifestyle.
Try some of the following tips:
- Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables. Brighten up your meals with lots of colorful fruits and vegetables. You’ll get more powerful antioxidants in your diet and a variety of delicious flavors too.
- Drink more water. Water is important in temperature regulation; it provides moisture to our skin and tissues, helps to carry nutrients to cells, aids in cushioning joints, helps to flush out toxins, and prevents constipation. Add fruit to your water for a flavor boost.
- Move more. Move in a way that you enjoy and makes you feel good. Perhaps, you can try a new group fitness class, or maybe an online chair aerobics class at home. Activities like cleaning your house and gardening are good ways to get you moving.
- Aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Consider the quality of sleep you get as well as how much. Stick to a regular sleep schedule.
- Improve coping skills to deal with stress. Try reaching out to others in person or by phone, going for a walk, listening to soothing music, or breathing deeply as ways to calm your mind.
Check out this healthy recipe!
Adapted from fitfoodies.com
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- optional: pinch of cinnamon
- Mix the mashed banana and eggs together
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined
- Pour into a greased ramekin or an oven-safe bowl
- Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes
- Serve with a drizzle of melted dark chocolate or berries, if desired.