Changes to Classes During COVID-19
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have shifted classes to a remote learning format until further notice.
We have both Walk with Ease (WWE) and Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) being implemented remotely for May and June. Each program has a workbook/tool-kit that is mailed directly to the registered participant and the programs are lead by our certified leaders.
About this Program
In just six weeks, you will learn strategies to better manage your arthritis and experience how moving can make a difference in your life and health.
Walk With Ease (WWE) is a community exercise and self-management education program developed by the Arthritis Foundation to help people with arthritis or other related conditions reduce pain, increase balance, strength and walking pace, and improve overall health. While walking is the central activity, WWE is a multi-faceted program that also includes health education, stretching and strengthening exercises, and motivational strategies.
The program is offered in two formats: As a self-guided course where individuals use the Walk With Ease workbook on their own, and in groups led by SSSEVA’s trained leaders. The group sessions include socialization time, a pre-walk discussion covering a specified topic related to exercise and arthritis, and a 10- to 40-minute walking period that includes a warm-up and a cool-down.
- Reduce the pain and discomfort of arthritis
- Increase balance, strength and walking pace
- Build confidence in your ability to be physically active
- Improve overall health
This is a structured 6-week program. Group sessions meet twice a week for 1 hour. Space is limited; registration is required.
- April 28th - July 2nd from 10AM - 11AM (Remote Learning)
- May 11th to June 15th 2020 (Telephonic Learning – Time TBD)
- June 18th to July 23rd 2020 (Telephonic Learning – Time TBD)
- July 7th to August 11th 2020 (Suffolk Public Library – Telephonic Learning – Time TBD)
- July 7th to August 11th 2020 (Optima Medicare Stars Members – Telephonic Learning – Time TBD)
- September 22nd - November 19th from 10AM - 11AM at Rokeby Community Center
Please call for more information 757-963-9209.
To host a workshop, or for more information, call Crystal Bynum at 757-963-9209.
Seniors in Our Community Depend On Us
We need your help now more than ever to provide nutrition, companionship, and essential resources to our seniors during this emerging pandemic.