When you need a ride, I-Ride can get you there.
I-Ride is the transportation brand of Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia, providing accessible transportation options in metro Hampton Roads and Western Tidewater.
I-Ride offers fixed and semi-fixed routes, medical transportation, Paratransit and on-demand response transit. Our experienced drivers will be happy to drive you to medical and therapy appointments, local wellness and senior centers, adult day care centers, shopping and more.
Senior Services partners with other local organizations that provide transportation as well – so if we can’t get you there ourselves, we’ll coordinate your needs with another service provider.
Medical Rides - (For seniors 60+ and individuals with disabilities)
If you need a ride to a doctor or other medical transportation, please call ahead to schedule.
- In Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, call (757) 222-4513
- In Franklin, Suffolk, Isle of Wight and surrounding Western Tidewater area, call (757) 516-8556
- Office hours are Mon- Fri, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Rides are qualified based on customer’s age, Medicaid recipient or not, and other criteria.
- A voluntary contribution of $4 is suggested for non-Medicaid qualified riders.
Fixed and Semi-Fixed Routes/Shopping Routes
I-Ride provides rides via fixed and semi-fixed routes in Smithfield (Isle of Wight County), Franklin, and Norfolk follow a specified route with scheduled stops and times.
- Open to the general public, children 12 and under ride free, accompanied by an adult
- $1 per ride
- Limit two carry-on packages per customer
- Questions? Call the Senior Services’ Transportation Department at (757) 222-4513 in Norfolk and (757) 516-8556 in Franklin and Smithfield for more information.
For routes and schedules: All items are in PDF format:
MAPS: I-Ride Isle of Wight Schedule
MAPS: I-Ride Franklin/Surrounding Areas
Norfolk Wellness I-Ride Information and Schedule
I-Ride Schedules for Holidays – Calendar Year 2013
Demand Response Routes (in Western Tidewater)
I-Ride demand-response routes provide round-trip service during scheduled hours to the Franklin Walmart from your home in Boykins/Branchville/Newsoms, Courtland and Hunterdale/Sedley.
- To schedule (at least 24 hours ahead), call Senior Services’ Franklin office at (757) 516-8556
- Cost to ride - $1 per ride
- Open to the general public, 12 and under ride free, must be accompanied by an adult.
- Boykins/Branchville/Newsoms: Tuesdays 10 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Courtland: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 - 3 p.m.
- Hunterdale/Sedley: Thursdays 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 - 3 p.m.
I-Ride demand-response routes provide round-trip service during scheduled hours to the Western Tidewater Free Clinic from your home in Franklin
- Mondays 10:00 a. m.- 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Thursdays 2:00- 4:30 p.m.
I-Ride demand-response routes provide round-trip service during the following scheduled hours to the Ivor Medical Center from your home in Smithfield.
- Thursdays, only 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Suffolk Paratransit Transportation
In the city of Suffolk only, I-Ride provides Paratransit rides for individuals with disabilities and the infirm elderly. Funding for this service is provided by the Virginia Board for Disabilities.
- All riders must be qualified by the Senior Services Paratransit scheduler, and certified according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines to be able to use this service. (We can certify you.)
- Service is offered in a fixed geographic area in Suffolk, located within three quarters of a mile of the Virginia Regional Transportation (VRT) service routes. Senior Service operates the same hours and days as VRT.
- Cost per ride is $3. The qualified rider may be accompanied by a companion at no extra fee.
- Call (757) 963-9227 to learn more about qualifications and/or to schedule a ride.
- Click here to download our informational flyer.
Wellness Center Transportation
- Senior Services provides on-demand round-trip rides for seniors 60+ to Wellness Centers in metro Hampton Roads and Western Tidewater.
- Rides are available for qualifying seniors based on age, location and available seating.
- A voluntary $1 contribution is suggested each way.
- This transportation is available several times a week and is dependent on individual wellness center schedules. *Click here for Wellness Center information.
- Call (757)222-4513 to schedule I-Ride to Wellness Centers in Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach.
- Call (757) 516-8556 to schedule I-Ride to Wellness Centers in Western Tidewater.
Special Fee for Service Transportation
- Senior Services receives requests from groups such as the Visitors Center in Smithfield, Paul D. Camp Community College and other organizations to provide transportation for special field trips.
- These trips are handled on a case-by-case basis according to the availability of vehicles and drivers.
- Cost per ride is an hourly cost based on the details of the ride, number of vehicles and drivers.
- Interested parties can call (757) 222-4530 for more information in Norfolk and (757) 516-8556 in Western Tidewater.
|Choose to help seniors in the Hampton Roads community when you give to the United Way at work. Write in Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia on your United Way “Combined Charities Campaign” form; #5065 on your “Commonwealth of Virginia” campaign form; or #47980 on your “Combined Federal Campaign” form.